Monday, August 23, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 35

Hello Friends! I’m so glad to sit with you now to unpack our word, on this 6th afternoon.

    “But the wisdom from above is first PURE, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.” James 3:17-18
    As you see, our word for today is PURE, but all day yesterday until around 7:00, I wondered what I should write...though I knew this scripture would encourage us, even without another word. About that time, I reached my hand across my face, in an attempt to wipe away the exhaustion of my go-go-go day. In that sweeping motion, I discovered that one of my pearl earrings, a gift from my in-laws 30 years ago, had vanished. I’ve prayed and searched since then, but to no avail. And though I’m quite sad, I realize pearls represent PURITY and are the perfect example for us tonight.
    The beginnings of pearls are far from beautiful. In fact, the seed of a pearl is a rough irritant, either naturally or intentionally placed in the soft flesh of a mollusk. In order to protect itself from injury and to alleviate the discomfort, the mollusk slowly layers the foreign object with a substance called nacre. For as long as a year (though the process can take longer than 7 years) the mollusk must continue to soften the object, until finally, what first was invasive and destructive has become a stunning sphere of exquisite beauty. Instead of rejecting the unwelcome irritant, the mollusk is designed to transform the painfully invasive thing into a PURE treasure.
    I must relate this idea to our hearts and the difficult situations that invade our peace, piercing us where we feel most vulnerable. Fighting the hard things, rarely works, yet accepting them, just as they are, can tear us apart or produce bitterness in us. I believe that Jesus gives us the perfect example. Through sorrow and suffering on the cross, he wraps his love around our sin, and transforms us into beautiful saints, made PURE by his sacrifial love. We, in turn, can receive the difficulties before us, whether situational or in human form, with open arms. Jesus equips us with his Word and Holy Spirit presence to transform whatever we face with the power of his love. Grace and truth, proclaimed through words and by our actions, are our nacre of love. These PURE gifts offered freely transform even the most painful things to lasting beauty.
    May you rest well and feel fueled for the rest of the day ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment