Tuesday, August 3, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 16

 Hello! Tonight, on this 25th day, our word is GRACIOUS.

    On a night several years ago, Dennis’ phone rang at 2:00 a.m. There’s nothing unusual about this occurance in the life of a heart surgeon, but a unique situation unfolded. A nurse had done a foolish thing and he didn’t mince a single word in his response. I shuddered, wondering how I’d feel if I’d been on the other end of that phone call. He hung up, still fuming, while I lay silent beside him. After a few minutes of what I knew was wakeful worry, he said, “I must call her back and ask forgiveness for my anger, don’t I?” I answered quietly, “Yes,” as I breathed out a sigh of relief.
    I’d often remarked to Dennis at how GRACIOUS he usually sounded in the wee hours when calls came in saying, “Maybe you’d be awakened less if you sounded as exhausted as you are.” That night I understood the sheer willpower exhibited by my husband to choose graciousness even when his spirit was worn thin.
    We must learn to be GRACIOUS. Our Savior paid the ultimate price of crucifixion to exchange his holy life for our sinful ones. His death is our bridge to heaven, available to all who surrender and ask forgiveness; his sacrifice alone is the key. If this truth remains forefront in my mind, a GRACIOUS answer flows from my thankful heart. When I look into the face of others there is always something good I can find, because every human is sacred. I also know that I am capable of every sin, so there is no room for condemnation. When Jesus spoke of the most important commandments, he said this, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself.” And Psalm 145:8 reflects our word perfectly, “The Lord is GRACIOUS and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.”
Everyday is the best day to be GRACIOUS.
    Goodnight, I look forward to chatting again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment