Tuesday, August 17, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 29

    Suddenly the clouds part, I see a moment of opportunity through this tiny window of time, between chores and rush-rush, to speak. I’m calling out our word for today across the street, from my window to yours! Do you have a minute, on this 12th day, to contemplate with me?

    Our word is GENEROSITY.
    When I was a young mother, with three little ones in tow and Dennis immersed in his thoracic surgery fellowship, we lived in Memphis. Our two years were excruciatingly difficult on many fronts but God gave me two precious kindred spirits...two, one is already a miracle, but two...oh the bounty! Jeanene was younger than I and Rochelle was older. Each of these wise woman possessed a deep passion for the things of Christ, a gentle and humble demeanor, and a willingness to speak truth. (It was a time of great struggle for our marriage, for this Dennis and I are thankful, because it was a trial by fire for our refining, but that’s a post for another day.)
    Because Jeanene and Rochelle loved us both, and were rooting for our marriage, Dennis knew I could safely sort with them. They also knew our practical difficulties, such as our very tight budget. One day I heard of a woman from church who had a great need. Pastor Jim and Rochelle asked our Bible Study to help, as we were able. I desperately wished to participate, but didn’t mention this to Dennis. Jeanene, who always wrote her plans and desires on a note on her fridge, offered exactly the things she could GENEROUSLY give, working them into her list. Rochelle, who, as pastor’s wife to Jim, served nonstop, GENEROUSLY gave time from her packed schedule. I had nothing to give.
    The night of our Bible Study, I left our little ones with Arian, Rochelle’s daughter, to learn Bible stories and play games (she was brilliant at that!). I methodically carried up four huge bags of groceries from the car, as our contribution to the woman. At the end of the evening, as everyone trickled out, Jeanene and I stayed behind—as usual, because their home was our favorite place. 
    
    We sat down and Rochelle took my hand before asking, “How did you pay for four bags of beautiful groceries?”
My face flushed as I confessed, “The credit card.”
“Does Dennis know?” She continued, perceptively.
Tears ran down my cheeks.
    She hugged me and said, “Tell him. He knows your heart, but he’s spread thin providing for your family already. You must apologize for not working this out with him. Secondly, our GENEROSITY comes from what God provides, no more or less. You have more needs now, this is your time to receive. This is God’s balanced economy that aligns us.”
    From that experience twenty years ago, I learned that GENEROSITY must stem from the humble, honest heart of dividing that which is in our hands to give. And when our hands are empty, God often provides unexpectedly through others. Pride could block another’s blessing of giving to you! Stewarding our possessions well seems to open up places to both give and receive. We need each other! In those two years, God’s GENEROSITY to us came in the form of the people who surrounded us. Their GENEROUS companionship and strength in our weakness was far better than tangible things.
    Let’s speak, act, give and receive with hearts open to GENEROSITY. God provides for his plans, and when there’s no provision, we must wait and trust that it will come in due time. It can even be considered GENEROUS of God to allow us to deeply perceive our need for Him now. He is with us and his abundant mercy is new every morning!
    Until tomorrow, God bless you and keep you!

No comments:

Post a Comment