Monday, July 26, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 5

 Welcome to this little square of words. Drop your burdens for the moment and breathe. I imagine we’re sitting with our backs against a weathered tree trunk, as old as time. Sun beams stream through it’s branches, spreading across the soft grass on which we sit. There may even be a picnic basket nearby. With this peaceful image before us, let’s settle into this evening’s thoughts.

    CALLED is where we land, on this 36th day. As brothers and sisters in Christ, we are CALLED not only to love one another, but to love our enemies. And love is an action word!
    “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.”
John 3:16
    There is no condemnation in Christ, there must be none in us! A children’s song reminds us of this, “They’ll know we are Christians by our love...” I’ve been reciting this verse to myself lately when I’m tempted to speak death to anyone, especially those with whom I disagree. And finally, this beautiful truth to which my daughter in-law, Line, directed me years ago. Though Jesus models every virtue, there are two traits he specifically asks us to learn.
    “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
Matthew 11:29
    Amidst the roaring of voices, arguing and seeking to tear people apart, we mustn’t respond with arrows and stings. We stand courageously for truth, but we are CALLED to do so with gentleness and humility. And by living this way, we find rest for our souls. Wouldn’t it be lovely if others found rest in our company as well?
    Good night dear friends, I look forward to catting again tomorrow. Sweet dreams for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment