Thursday, July 22, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 4

 Hello there! Did you find a bit of sabbath rest today? I did, by falling asleep on the couch, sandwiched between Emmaus’ long legs and a cushion. I’d promised Ezra (13) we’d watch Madagascar, with Zion (13) and Emmaus (14). Like Grandpa Nichols used to say, “I was awake, just had to examine the back of my eyelids!”

    Today’s word, on this 37th day, is SONGBIRD. I awakened wondering what ideas this word might bring to our day and first off, the birds serenaded me through the open window. I thought of the geese flying south for the winter, the partridges that flutter and scurry amidst the tall prairie grass and the coos of the morning doves perched on the roof ridge. God provides for each of these precious creatures; we can trust in his love to care for us. Later, we worshiped, with the hymn Amazing Grace on our lips. And in the early evening, when baby Karsten needed comfort, Mama Line’s voice was the song that settled him.  

    As I sit with you now, in the hush of a quiet house, my Bible is open to Psalm 57. I’d had no time to read earlier, and here are the words that greet me from my planned reading: “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge, in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge till the storms of destruction pass by.” Yesterday, my friend Tiffany, spoke of this very idea, of God’s wings quieting the roar of the world, like a soft blanket, sheltering us. I imagine wings and feathers are intricate elements of our songbird idea.

    In this season, let’s lift our voices in praise of our good God, who lifts our spirits as well. Each morning he is with us, having watched over our souls even in the darkest hours of the night. Let us trust in him as our comforter and shelter, just as Isaiah 40:31 says, “But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”

    I must end with one of my favorite verses, that encourages us to be songbirds of joy in these days. Psalm 61:8, “And I’ll be the poet who sings your glory, and live what I sing every day. As I switch off the lights, though it’s nearing 1 a.m., I hear a bird singing through our window. Instead of focusing on the dark night, I find I’m listening to his song instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment