Tuesday, July 20, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 2

 Hello dear friends,

    My household is quiet, except for the steady rhythm of clothes in the dryer and an occasional whimper from sleeping puppies, dreaming of romping through the prairie. My word for day 39 is SACRED. What a word! All day I’ve been pondering it.
    If we truly believed, as C.S.Lewis declared, that all that truly matters is that which is immortal, how would we live? I wonder, if we paused to look into the eyes of each person with whom we interact, what would we see? We would see a sacred human. What would we hear if we asked the questions that really matter, without preconceived answers clogging our conclusions? We’d hear things that surprise us; beautiful, interesting and maybe even painful things we never knew.
    When my mind is rooted and grounded in God’s Word and I see myself as a sinner saved by grace, I see others through a lens of humility. I’m deeply challenged to follow through with this thought in every aspect of my life. Can I see each person as sacred, created in God’s image? Can I pray for them even if we don't see eye-to-eye? Yikes! Honestly, the roaring of angry voices all around tempts us to believe that those who think differently are our enemies. NO! This is false. We are not each other’s enemies. We are citizens, comrads, stewards of our globe and members of the human race in this time and space. As we interact with one another, let’s decide that our words and attitudes will begin with today’s word, SACRED. We are all sacred because we are created in God’s image. Believe this, as you dig deeply into the reasons for your worldview, and trust others to do the same. In so doing, our hearts will be prepared to love, bless and release one another. With dignity and kindness we speak value into this season of chaos and give weight to the hope within us, that depends only on Christ himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment