Wednesday, July 21, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 3

 Hello dear hearts, may I tell you about this morning before I share our word? Thank you, I will!

    Our two puppies, now big pawed and lanky adolescents, whimpered from their kennel awakening us early on this grey day. Just as they bounded back inside, after a quick run in the grass, our grandson met them at their fluffy dog pillow, and nestled down between them. (It’d be like you and me plopping down in the center of a pair of wild horses rolling in a pasture!) With morning licks and hearty toddler giggles, those two puppies and baby burst through my weariness. In their company my heart felt light and my mood brightened, just as the sun streamed through the clouds onto the kitchen floor. It’s the image of today’s word, that has stuck with me all day, on this 38th day. 

LIGHT

    These days our loads feel heavier than ever and many claim a rising darkness that speaks of the end of the age. I have contemplated this and felt fear creep up inside me, dousing all joy and tempting me to isolate and prepare for the worst. The truth is, every day is a day closer to eternity. Every day is a gift, given to be filled with what? Well I believe the answer is LIGHT. And where is light most necessary? Where does it shine the brightest? Why, in the darkness, of course. Light pushes back the dark, it slices right through it, illuminating our path.

    These are not days in which we retreat, hide or huddle, wishing for the restoration of a false normal. As our math tutor, Renee, said long ago, “normal” is just a setting on a dryer. These are the days where we stand brightly, as lights on a hill, shining the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control that Jesus illuminated for us. Jesus is the light. When we love like he does, darkness must flee!
Be the light dear friends, our world is waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment