Monday, December 6, 2021

Weariness

 Let's chat about something I have read this morning, shall we? First, a bit more coffee for me, as a grandson is sleeping, which is certainly worth another mug! I wish I could transport a cup to you as well, through the airways. However brilliant our technology has become, we can still only share a cup, when we sit in each other's presence. In scripture today I stopped at a little phrase from Psalm 139:18b "When I awake, I am still with you." I was so low and weary last night and this morning that I just wanted to sleep on and on. Yes, it is humbling to say, especially since many of you have real reasons to indulge in such thinking. I have none! I have some simple thoughts, which weigh heavy on my heart today... hellos end in goodbyes, summers become fall, children grow up to be equipped to launch and leave, our parents age, the garden fades and I must adapt! The only constant is change and if we cannot keep up, we will be left behind and overwhelmed. Really? No! No. Why? Because we have a God that is trapped by none of my silly emotional roadblocks or our real struggles and sorrows, or deep needs. Whether our bodies are desperate for healing, we see no way out financially, we feel we have made a wrong decision, or our hearts have trapped us in unforgiveness or sin...God is God! Bishop Trench says God calls us not 'to' a height (as if we must work to reach a spiritual level), he calls us 'from' a height...from the otherness of this life, not to a 'high calling' ,no, he is calling to us, from 'on high'. This earth, where soil can turn to mud in the simple passing of a storm, where tiny nails pop strong tires and we are stopped dead in our tracks on the side of the road on which we travel, God is with us, immovable by earthly hardship, above our smallest and greatest difficulties. In the center of our need he calls us upward, to himself...the place where He lives and to which he calls us to 'awaken' is his unchangeable love, constant care, steady goodness, trustworthy guidance, daily provision, and ultimate purpose and plan for his children who love him. What is our part in this scenario? It is our simple surrender to his love, our giving up of earthly treasure for his priceless eternal riches and our willingness to trust in his ways. If you have entered this day with weariness or worry pulling at your spirit, ask God to fill your cup, he will! His presence is with you and me. He is good.  

Cheers to your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment