Friday, December 17, 2021

Manumission

    Manumission...or manumitting, formal emancipation from slavery. I have just read this word in my morning reading. This is the direct quote in regards to stewardship of the talents given. Archbishop Trench writes "...the master's inviting his slave to sit down with him at the table did itself constitute the act of manumission; henceforth he was free." When the master returned, the first two servants presented what they'd done with what they'd been given, the master gave them freedom in return. The third servant, buried what was to be used for good, then blamed the master for being harsh, therefore justifying himself for doing nothing with what he had.  

    In unpacking this today, I think of the earthly gifts we're given; time, talent, our possessions, limited to a season, a lifetime...as compared to eternal things, the people...every person with whom we have now and have ever had contact....What am I to steward? I am to steward what I have this day, this hour. So in the one hand are earthly things, to be used purposefully for that which will last long past my lifetime here, the people. There is purpose in all things, in every day, and in everything that has to do with loving someone well with what we've got until our day of freedom from earthly entangling things comes. What I do for others is not dependent on how they react, I am to care for and give fully from what I've been given, that is the joy of pouring out, as God pours in...the days are short, and freedom from all these struggles will come. Manumission in my simple mind, encourages me to remember today what is my mission at hand, and to do it well, with what I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment