Monday, November 8, 2021

Psalm 51

Sadly, my coffee cup is empty (after three cups!), but my heart is full and fueled for the day with three open books around me and a melody in my mind. The authors I am reading both quoted Johann Sebastian Bach, one book is written in 1980, the other in 1860. So I turned to the computer to hear something to which each writer referred and found instead Bach's song titled "Psalm 51", (ah, and it is in Latin again). So I read in my Bible a few lines from that Psalm, "Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place...wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Madeleine L'Engle wrote, "Bach's music points me to wholeness, a wholeness of body, mind, and spirit, which we seldom glimpse, but which we are intended to know." And Trench writes of fullness from the world, "...for this fullness has prevented them from discovering their emptiness of heavenly things", and he continues in writing of a hunger and thirst for goodness that must be awakened in our souls. My coffee was delicious because Dennis fills the grinder with fresh beans from an excellent source. It is the daily battle of the mind to first fill it with nourishment from trustworthy sources which will sustain us no matter what struggles the day holds. It is the melody in our heads and words invited into our souls which comes out in the pouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment