Friday, November 19, 2021

Moses

Have you ever read the story of Moses and the burning bush? I was thinking about it this morning and then a reference to it appeared in my book...ah, that purposeful pointing of the Holy Spirit. So I read the details in Exodus. Moses was doing his daily work of tending sheep, he was seized with curiosity when he saw a bush that burned, but did not become consumed, so he approached it. God spoke to him saying, 'I've heard the cries of my people and I'm sending help, in the form of a person...you!' This is the daily request to each of us, and Moses responded to God in the same way we might. 'Me? What can I do? I'm just a simple person, incapable of even speaking a full sentence without stuttering, and you know all about my temper...remember that huge mistake I made that got me here in the first place!?' The beautiful part of this story is that Moses was a regular guy, whose life had been filled with miracles of survival and provision, but who had made a mess of things too, just like us. He didn't want to take on the tough job God gave him, but he did it anyway, even amidst his own complaints. So what were God's job requirements? I think they were humility, compassion and obedience. God's love worked powerfully through Moses' weaknesses, was the broken vessel through which God's love flowed freely. Our brokenness is sometimes the best thing we have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment