Tuesday, July 27, 2021

40 Words for 40 Days: Day 9

 Hello Beloveds! On this 32nd day, I have a new word for us to ponder: MULTIPLY

    Our grandson, Karsten, joined me in the kitchen. His faithful companions, our chocolate labs, Beatrice and Huxley, stood ever vigilant hoping for a tasty reward. My earnest little helper followed my directions diligently and in no time at all, the tantalizing aroma of peach crisp filled the house. What began with the simplest of ingredients, became a delicious delight for all to share.
    Do you remember the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000?
The disciples were ready to turn away the hungry crowd on whom Jesus had had compassion, healing their sick and ministering to them. They’d been with the people all day and felt worn out. Instead, Jesus said to his 12 disciples, “You feed them.” The bewildered disciples scrambled then finally found five simple loaves and two fish, shared by a boy from the crowd. Jesus instructed everyone to sit in groups of 50 in the grass. Imagine as the hush of anticipation fell over each person wondering what Jesus might do. He took the fish and loaves into his hands, offered them up to heaven, thanked his Father and blessed them. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to his disciples to set before the people. At the end of the feasting, twelve baskets of broken pieces were gathered, not an ounce of miraculous abundance was wasted. Nothing is ever wasted in God’s economy!
    Imagine if you were the boy with the lunch! He offered his best to Jesus, believing that in Jesus’ hands it could be useful. And oh my, was it ever MULTIPLIED into a feast for all! When I look at this picture of our little boy offering his help to feed our hungry family, my heart melts. He knows that whatever help he offers me, I’ll gladly receive and that his best efforts will always be of greatest value to me. I love this little guy, and when he wishes to work alongside me, my joy abounds.
    In the complicated situations we face today, it’s difficult to imagine what use we might be to those feeling empty, suffering and in need. We, like the disciples, have our own plans before us, turning others away seems most logical. Besides, mounting problems arise daily, tempting us to shrink back in feelings of compassion fatigue. But we mustn’t give up! Jesus calls us to stand strong and stay faithful! Our simple prayers for one another,
push back the evil and invite love to override fear. Praying and believing are vital! Our kindness, listening ears, small acts of service and calm presence are of eternal use when courage is failing and hope seems dim all around us. God MULTIPLIES what the faithful surrender back to him. And as we bless and serve others in Jesus’ name, I imagine His joy might just be MULTIPLIED as well!
Good night, abundant rest and strength for the new day!
I’ll meet you here again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment